Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Classes

So, to begin, I am currently enrolled in a course at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock right now and I have found that my Calculus II instructor is actually quite easy in terms of difficulty - great considering the fact that Calculus II is revered by the Engineering community at the University of Arkansas as being the most difficult course in the Calculus sequence. Bad in the sense that I feel as though I may not be adequately prepared for Calculus III which is a degree requirement for myself and many of my classmates. Why am I typing this? Quite honestly, its simply to voice my opinions about the many negative connotations associated with Summer courses and their difficulty. Yes you may be required to take a course normally scheduled for a 4 - month semester in a matter of weeks  and, yes you will have to learn material quite quickly but the overall benefit of having a course under your belt (assuming you can pay for the fees) is an added benefit. As far as taking courses every summer, I heavily discourage this. If you are looking to apply to any form of graduate school like myself, an internship or a coop of any kind is heavily encouraged by employers in any field. So, when planning out your college career, try for only one summer (if needed) of courses and no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment