Sunday, June 10, 2012

Why Dentistry?

Well, it would be foolish to assume that my intended career in dentistry was picked half-heartedly from a  Bureau of Labor and Statistics' website search based on earnings and geography but this assumption would actually be correct... well, kinda.
The reason why I have, since the age of ten, been so enamored with the thought of digging wistfully inside a human being's mouth - a part of the human body that is defined as "the beginning of the digestive process" -  is partially because as an idle pre-teen I was simply bored after an afternoon of playing playstation and the like that I decided to search the internet for something to do. As any internet user knows, the internet is a harbor of both factual, practical, and useless knowledge altogether which makes sifting through its billions of bytes of data for an ounce of truth quite difficult. However, I stumbled upon a website that contributed to my future goals in life after typing "Best Paid Jobs" in Google. I was astonished to find that there were, in fact, so many occupations I had not even heard of and that my ten-year-old brain could not have even fathomed. For one, I had no idea that dentists even had to get professional training let alone the fact that they had to achieve a doctorate-level education in the field. Furthermore, I was incredibly surprised to discover how much CEO's of major corporations earn. At the time, I had no idea that my half-hearted Google search would result in me discovering a wealth of possibilities in any field of my choice. A few more searches finally allowed me to refine my search to occupations in the medical field and boy, was I surprised to find out the mean salary for dentists, who seemed to be so knowledgeable in what seemed to me a negligible portion of the human body - cavities and plaque aside! A few more searches and I landed on the Bureau of Labor and Statistics website which was, quite literally, an organized index on everything I was searching for. Then began my interest in dentistry: not with teeth themselves, but, rather, with the prospect of someday having a job where I could earn a decent salary helping individuals who wished to have good dental hygiene. I myself have never had a cavity and my dental visits were satisfactory in all respects so the prospect of having a job where I aided other individuals to achieve the very same level of satisfaction I had with both my dental visits and dental hygiene had an incredible allure.
Now, I am going to begin my sophomore year at the University of Arkansas in the Fall as a Pre-Dental Student so, for those of you who also wish to be dentists or aren't sure what you want to do in life just know that it can begin with a little boredom!
Until next time... so long.

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @tsunamiavenger !

No comments:

Post a Comment